Thursday, May 15, 2008

Written & Directed by Masseo Davis, "BLANKETS. Cuddles & Smooches."

Blankets: Cuddles & Smooches
written & directed by R. Masseo Davis





-Over Black- “ It’s okay to look back on the past, just don’t stare.”

– Charlie Nicholson

Opening Credits…
Music- Bob Marley; “Could You Be Loved”
(Montage of Kevin waking up, almost in dance form showing that his life is a routine, that he can do his mornings with his eyes closed.)
--Kevin walks and you see him meet with his friend Sean. On the way he passes a man playing a guitar (Jason). They acknowledge each other.
--Kevin also catches sight of a beautiful girl (Raina) they exchange glances of interest and move on.

#1, Stability with the appearance of Conflict
(Kevin Meets Sean)

Sean: Oooohh Shhhh,!!! Hey What took you the whole afternoon?!
Kevin: Sleepin’ I was in know rush.
Sean: Screw you! I haven’t got all day, what’s on the agenda?
Kevin: I’m actually kind of hungry.
Sean: oohh really I could eat.
Kevin: I know you could.
Sean: AAAHHH MY NAME IS KEVIN HAHAHAHAAA
Kevin: hahaha let’s get something to go..
-----CUT------
They come out of sandwich shop with food.

Kevin: Where are we gonna eat.
Sean: I have a blanket in my car
Kevin: You would you old women
-----------CUT---------
Sean: How did I let you talk me into this?
---------CUT (Back) --------
Kevin: You would you old women.
Sean: (smaller) AHHHHAHA come on we could sit in the park.
Kevin: (Sigh) okay.
----------CUT--------
Sean: It was like 5min ago.
Kevin: Whatever, I do what I want.
Sean: haha ass hole.
Kevin: haha … so how’s the wife?
Sean: Don’t call her that.
Kevin: Not so hot huh?
Sean: Look who’s talkin’!!!
Kevin: Whatever man I do what I want.
Sean: Yeah I know and look how your last relationship ended. Have you dated since..
Kevin: She slapped me!!!
Sean: So what it happens..
Kevin: Are you serious. No that’s where I draw the line, don’t slap me!! It’s not cool.
Sean: Did you ever consider that she didn’t mean it?
Kevin: Then why did she do it, Sean ?!
Sean: Kevin you aren’t the easiest person to get along with all the time. I mean you and I are best friends and we’re disagreeing right now.
Kevin: (Sigh) Whatever.
Sean: Listen there are a few things girls want out of a relationship.
1) They want to know what they’re getting themselves into. Where we men like spontaneous women who can continually surprise us they need assurance. Sure they are humans and like surprises just like the next person but they really are the more logical sex so it is what it is…
2) The other-
Kevin: -Since you know so much about women, why are you and your women having troubles?
Sean: No one’s perfect, no matter how seamless things appear, be aware the seems are there.
Kevin: …Yeah.
Sean: Come on, I have to meet “the wife” downtown soon anyway. Where do you want me to drop you off?
Kevin: Um I’ll come and roam town aimlessly.
Sean: All right, man.






#2, Conflict
(Kevin Meets Raina)

Music- Prince; “Starfish and Coffee” – Yeah Yeah Yeahs; “Maps”
--Montage Kevin and Sean head downtown and on the way they pass the man playing a guitar (Jason) Kevin stops to give him money Sean walks by without noticing.
--Later while Kevin and Sean are heading downtown Kevin spots the beautiful girl across the street and while remaining on track watches her, focused and falls down a flight of stairs. Sticks his head out of the stairs and she’s gone.
--Montage Sean helps Kevin up and they go there separate ways
-- Kevin walks around thinking about Raina and the day as he is just roaming aimlessly
-- Kevin sees the man playing the guitar (Jason) they acknowledge each other.
--Later Kevin finds himself in the movie store looking for a movie when through the movie shelf he sees Raina.

Kevin: (Frightened) Ahhh!! Oh my god!!
Raina: I’m sorry did I scare you?
Kevin: No I’m fine it happens; are you okay?
Raina: (Laughing) Yeah thanks.
Kevin: Sorry
Raina: It’s okay I’m fine
Kevin:. Hi my name is- (bumps his hand into movie rack and knocks movies over off the rack) bends over and hits his head only knocking over more movies)
(To himself) Smooth Kevin Real smooth.
Raina: (Laughing) are you all right, what happened?
Kevin: I’m being a dumb ass hold on I’ll come around.
Raina: No I’ll come help (She goes around)
Kevin: (She helps) Thanks.
Raina:…….. (Looking at Kevin Standing there)
Kevin: Hi my name is Kevin
Raina: Raina… My name is Raina.
Kevin: Nice to meet you
Raina: Like wise.
Kevin: Um what are you looking at there?
Raina: Oh it’s nothing
Kevin: Really come on tell me.
Raina: Ahh it’s just this graphic novel I was told was good.
Kevin: I love comics.
Raina: Really, well Really!!??
Kevin: Yeah
Raina: Um okay I’ll show you. I only just started so I really don’t know what’s going to happen but it seems to be- well it really is kind of like a chick flick.
Kevin: Is that what you’ re looking for here?
Raina: (Sarcastically) NNoooo..
Kevin: Okay
Raina: Anyways, you know what I’m talking about; it’s one of those romantic comedies though I have a hunch it’s going to end disastrously.
Kevin: Well that’s a shame.
Raina: haha … Yeah.
Kevin: … Yeah….
Raina: Hey do you want to grab a bite to eat I haven’t eaten yet… My treat.
Kevin: (Flashback to Eating with Sean) I’m starving…


# 3 Climax
Music- Jason Mraz “ Sleep All Day”
--Montage they walk and get food they have a good time doing various activities.
-- They talk they get to know each other better.

-- At Raina’s House
Kevin: So where are you from?
Raina: Here actually yeah I’ve lived hear all my life, but I’m heading off to college in a week.
Kevin: A week?!
Raina: Yeah..
Kevin: One?!
Raina: Haha Yeah…
Kevin: Damn…
Raina: …Yeah..

Music- John Mayer; “Your Body is a Wonderland”
Sequence ultimately leading to them for playing it.


#4 The Crash
Kevin: …I Love you Raina.
Raina: (Kisses his nose, gets up and slaps Kevin’s butt) Come on lets Walk!!

--At swing set they are talking and having a good time then…

Raina… Hey?...
Kevin: What?
Raina:… I don’t know… Never mind.
Kevin: Yes you do. Come on tell me.
Raina: Why did you say you love me?
Kevin: Because I do.
Raina: What do you really mean by that?
Kevin:… Aaaah?-
Raina:- Well I love you too… but?... I guess what I’m trying to say is…
Kevin:… What?
Raina: Everything ends!! No! “End” is too graceful a word! Everything degenerates!
Kevin: Crumbles.
Raina: It makes me wonder how anyone could fall in love.
Kevin: I did
Raina: How?! When?! Why?!
Kevin: Do I need to Know?
Raina: Yes!!
Kevin: Do You?!
Raina: Yes
Kevin: You do?! Then How, when, why?!!
Raina: I asked you
Kevin: I don’t know I just do.!!
Raina: That’s not good enough for me.
Kevin: What’s your reason?
Raina: Don’t make this about me.
Kevin: It’s about us!!
Raina: Us!? I just met you..
Kevin: Then lets not be off to a bad start… Please I’ve had a great time today.
Raina: … So have I…
Kevin: … So then where did this come from?
Raina: I’ve been thinking about it all day.
Kevin: You have..?
Raina: You haven’t..?!
Kevin: (Sigh)… Not all day.
Raina: Well at least you know what I’m talking about!
Kevin: So!.. I mean-
Raina: - No so! I leaving in a week or did you forget already living this fantasy. Besides I want to know what I’m getting myself into!!!
Kevin: OOH!! MY!! GOD!! Sean was right!
Raina: What so your already talking to your friends about me?!!
Kevin: Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said that..!
Raina: That’s what you’re implying.
Kevin: … Raina I love you.. That’s all there is to it.!!
Raina: That doesn’t make any sense. I mean I don’t know you!!!
Kevin: So we have a lot to discover.!!!
Raina: No Kevin in a few days I’m leaving for college!!!
Kevin: Are you going to bring that up every time we don’t get along!!? Cause if your going to be this pessimistic!!-
Raina: (SLAPS Kevin)… I’m not pessimistic.
Kevin: I’m sorry for everything… (Gets up and leaves)


#5 Recuperation
(Kevin Meets Jason)

Music- Broken Social Scene, Tuck and Patti, & Feist
--Walks and revisits all the places he had been that day
-- Ends up at the park where he ate with Sean and sits

Jason: (Plays guitar)” … Hey kid
Kevin: (Waves)
Jason: (Continues playing; notices Kevin is obviously upset) Hey kid you want to talk about it… Here I’ll make it easier for you my name’s Jason. (Holds out his hand)
(Kevin doesn’t shake it).
Jason: … (Pulls his hand back)… I was in love too once… I saw her for the first time a couple years ago. It seems like a lot longer then that. She was sitting at the table three tables ahead of mine. She was reading a book I think, I was reading the paper and we both had bagels I had a ______ bagel, she had a ______.... (Books down; food bite; drink; books up; leg peek and catch eyes; smile; go back to reading)… It was like we were the same person… I’ve heard opposites attract but with us it wasn’t about filling any holes, but more along the lines of adding icing to the cake. (Small laugh) I never thought about it but now thinking back I never said anything to her until like the third time we met… She was a person ahead of me in line for her bagel and she was short a quarter…
--Montage Jason and Girl getting to know each other; (Under blanket on butterfly chair cuddled together)
… She made this blanket for me.. It’s all I have left reminding me of… us… We were together for a long time, then one day… she was gone… I don’t know what happened. Maybe I met her too soon, maybe I had to do something before we were to meet… I don’t know It’s like I never knew her.. Funny how life seems to be a big contradiction that way.
Kevin: Kevin… My name’s Kevin.
Jason: Nice to meet you Kevin (They Shake hands)
Kevin: I’m Sorry
Jason: For?
Kevin: What happened..
Jason: Don’t! It is, what it is, tomorrow is another day. Besides the way I figure it is, life is what you make it so why angry or sad.
Kevin: Then why do you still have the blanket?
Jason: It was a gift.
Kevin: You said it reminded you of the two of you… together. How could you get over her with that??
Jason:… I don’t know.
Kevin: ..Sorry.
Jason: It’s okay
Kevin: Thank you
Jason: For ?
Kevin: You said exactly what I needed to hear.
Jason: Which was?
Kevin: Life is what you make it so why angry or sad. That doesn’t mean it will be easy or that I’m over her but at least now I know where to start… Have a nice night….


End Credits...
Music- The Wannadies; “ You and Me Song”
--Shows Kevin Waking up again going through his normal routine just a little different meeting Sean in town again where he saw Jason the evening before only Jason isn’t there but his blanket is draped over the bench where they met.