Monday, April 21, 2008

You ‘re Beautiful by R. Masseo Davis

You ‘re Beautiful
By (Robert) Masseo Davis
Characters:
Lauren
Celeste
David James

PART A.
Introduction:
-Outside it’s late, and it’s raining.
Lauren is alone in her home dressed in a dinner gowned, she is dressing a dinner table for two, and she lights two candles. While dressing the dinner table she is dancing around the room completely comfortable in her environment.

Music:
Bach Prelude Cello Suite, Performed by Classical Guitar.

(There’s a knock at the door.)
(Enter Celeste)

Celeste:

(Shivering) Hello. Do you know David James.

Lauren:

Yeah, come in!!!

Celeste:

(Looks at Lauren and starts crying)
… You’re really beautiful.

Lauren:

Let me get you a towel. Please have
a seat.

Celeste:

(Sits at table still shivering)

Lauren:

Here you are. (Gives Celeste towel)
What were you doing out there?
(Sits on other end of the table)

Celeste:

…ahh-

Lauren:

- Are you okay?

Celeste:

(Shakes her head, starts tearing up)

Lauren:

What’s the matter is there anything
I can do?

Celeste:

… Do you know a David?
David James?

Lauren:

Yeah, my husband’s name is
David James.

Celeste:

… um… ah… yeah that’s him.

Lauren:

… Who are you?

Celeste:

Celeste… My name is Celeste…
You’re beautiful… like really, really beautiful.

Lauren:

… Thank you… How do you know
my husband?
(Celeste and Lauren exchange looks
and all is known)

Lauren:

How long have you and David been..?

Celeste:

(Shrugs, still crying)

Lauren:

That long?

Celeste:

(nods)

Lauren:

(Sighs) (Gets up and makes two
drinks takes gun out of dresser, and gives a
drink to Celeste) Here

Celeste:

I’m really sorry... I... I
didn’t know he was married… if I did-

Lauren:

It’s okay…

Celeste:

... Do you have any kids?

Lauren:

- no…

Celeste:

… How long have the two of you
been married?

Lauren:

… (sigh) five years. How did the two
of you meet?

Celeste:

… Work.


Lauren:

You work together?!

Celeste:

No… I was working and- At the time I was-
I do work at um… Friday’s and he came in and said
“hi”… (Small laugh)

Lauren:

… That’s it you fell for some strange man who
walked into your Mc Donald’s, and said “Hi”?

Celeste:

Well no we went out that night and we hit it off…
The thing is he picked me up straight out of work,
in my gross, greasy, French fry smelling uniform,
and we just went for this really long sweat walk.
I kept telling him how uncomfortable I was in the
uniform… He just kept kissing me and telling me
I looked beautiful… He really made me feel good,
even with all my imperfections…
… (Celeste notices twin lobsters on the table for dinner)
… Uumm, heh, twins.

Lauren:

(Quietly) What!? (She clenches her stomach),

Celeste:

Lobsters, twin lobsters, I love lobster.

Lauren:

(Starts crying) Oh my god, oh my god!
Why me, this can’t, no no no!

Celeste:

I’m sorry, I had to come here tonight,
I had to tell you, I didn’t want it to be true,
I love him! And I-

Lauren:

-Celeste… did David tell you I’m pregnant?


Celeste:

(Shakes her head)

Lauren:

Of course not cause I haven’ t told him yet, that’s
what this dinner was all about… I’m glad
you recognized the symbolism with the twin lobsters
… I’m having twins…

Celeste:

I’m so sorr-

Lauren:

-Get out, he’s yours, I won’t have him back…

Celeste:

No please-

Lauren:

-Celeste, (Gets up and opens door for Celeste)
please don’t pretend like this isn’t what you wanted…


Celeste:

(Exit Celeste)

Lauren:

(Closes door and falls to her knees with
her back leaning up against the door, and starts crying)
… No.

----------TAKE BLACK---------



PART B.
Introduction (Repeated only in fast motion):
-Outside it’s late, and it’s raining.
Lauren is alone in her home dressed in a dinner gowned, she is dressing a dinner table for two, and she lights two candles. While dressing the dinner table she is dancing around the room completely comfortable in her environment.

Music:
Smokey Robinson’s – Quiet Storm

(There’s a knock at the door.)
(Enter Celeste)

Celeste:

(Shivering) Hello

Lauren:

Oh my God, come in!!!

Celeste:

(Looks at Lauren and starts crying)…
You’re really beautiful.

Lauren:

Let me get you a towel.
Please have a seat.


Celeste:

(Sits at table still shivering)

Lauren:

Here you are. (Gives Celeste towel)
What were you doing out there?
(Sits on other end of the table)

Celeste:

…ahh-

Lauren:

- Are you okay?

Celeste:

(Shakes her head, starts tearing up)

Lauren:

What’s the matter is there anything I can do?

Celeste:

… Do you know a David? David James?

Lauren:

Yeah, my husband’s name is David James.

Celeste:

… um… ah… yeah that’s him.

Lauren:

… Who are you?

Celeste:

Celeste… My name is Celeste… You’re beautiful
… like really, really beautiful.

Lauren:

… Thank you… How do you know
my husband?

Celeste:

…I’m… I’m his mistress.

Lauren:

Excuse me? What do you mean?

Celeste:

(Silent)



Lauren:

What do you mean mistress?!!! Do you clean up
after him when he make a mess?!

Celeste:

No!

Lauren:

Oh! Okay, you see, that’s why I asked?
Please be clear about what you say.
What do you mean when you say you’re his mistress?

Celeste:

…I…We-

Lauren:

Do you fuck him!?

Celeste:

What!?

Lauren:

You heard me, do you fucking,
fuck my husband!!!?

Celeste:

Yes! I mean-

Lauren:

Fuck You!
(Lauren starts throwing things at Celeste and eventually attacks her.)
Lauren: Celeste:
-I can’t believe you did this! -I’m sorry!
-You ruined my life! -Please stop
-Get out of my house you bitch!
-Of all nights why tonight. -I had to tell you!

-I’m carrying his children -Pease!
I’m carrying his children!!

Celeste:
(Celeste takes knife from table as Lauren is attacking her and accidentally kills Lauren).

(Celeste, kneels over Lauren crying as Lauren is gasping for her last breaths.)

--------------TAKE BLACK------------


PART C.

(Lauren is sleeping on couch and is woken by knocks at the door. She opens it to see her husband standing there.)

David James:

Hey honey. (Kisses her on the forehead)
Wow you’re beautiful, what’s all this about?
… oh and baby I have to talk to you about something…
(Reveals dinner table and lobster settings waiting to be eaten)

Lauren:

(Shocked)!!!

1 comment:

moxanot: said...

I'm guessing this is a double-layered dream sequence? Is this the whole script or is it just a scene?

I appreciated it, but I wonder what you looking to do with it?

-Billy